Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Valerie's Quilt.....

This is Valerie's beautiful quilt - she contacted me after I had done one of her friends quilts. She waited patiently as I took what seemed like forever to get to her quilt. Thanks for being so patient Valerie! She belongs to a Quilt group called the QBees and you can follow their journey on Theresa's Blog.

Here is what Valerie said about her quilt and why she wanted to make it.

I was inspired by this quilt because it combines appliqué with pieced blocks
and I was excited about the large white center to show off quilting. For me
this was a somewhat different color way. As a matter of fact, my daughter
looked at it on your blog and said "That's your quilt, Mom? There is not
enough brown in it..."

1

****Update****

Pattern is called:

"Home Sweet Home" designed for Patchwork Party Fall 2007 by Carolyn McCray with Cottage Quilts

The pattern was a Patchwork Party event in 2007 - I will get the details as soon as I can - if anyone out there knows the pattern, let me know and I can update my blog so I can give proper credit to the designer.

I used one layer of Hobbs 80/20 batting. I used Superior Threads Highlights #796 for the cream fabric and #703 for the prints.

Oh - and before I forget - I have an A-1 long arm - I love it, I would buy it again. I am not familiar with all the other machines out there because this is the one I have always used, but I think it is an amazing machine and I don't plan on switching to anything else. (That hopefully covers all the missed questions).

2

Okay - this fun little design was perfect for the corners of the border. It gives it a nice little break from the diamond sash quilting. This is a toned down quilt job for me - I had to promise myself and Clint that I wouldn't do more detail than what I started with. I typically add more detail in because I am just a little crazy..........

3

Since the center flower basket creates a center section of the quilt and it's own border, I thought it would be fun to mimic the corners, but at a smaller scale. I loved how it turned out!

4

I wanted the center quilting to really compliment the design. There was enough empty space that I created a fun design to border it.

5

Don't you love how it almost looks like a butterfly taking flight?

6

I just love it! I have made a PDF template available for this design. I called it diamond swirl - real original, but it works! You can buy it here.

7

I really had fun doing this quilt - it went faster than some of my other quilts, but there was still a lot of marking and ruler work. The quilt took me a little over 20 hours to quilt.

8


9

One of my favorite blocks - I have done this up and down stitch before, but I haven't ever tried it around all the triangles before. I saw it done beautifully by Jenny - so thanks for the inspiration girl!

10

How did I know where to put these little breaks? Just a little simple math - they came to the center of each block.

11

I can't get enough of it!

12

13

Well - there you go - on to the next quilt I guess - I will keep the pictures coming!

42 comments:

•stephanie• said...

one of my life's goals is to piece a quilt worthy of your quilting. seriously . . . i've never seen anything like it. this one ~ even though you say it's toned down ~ is stunning. i love seeing your designs!

Little Pink Rose said...

Judi, you are an AMAZING quilter! This is a Beautiful quilt!!! You totally transform each and every quilt you touch, giving it a life it only dared to imagine! I have to say you inspire me to be more adventurous in my own quilting. Thank you for sharing your beautiful quilting with us, I look forward to every picture and story.

Toni said...

Both the quilt and the quilting work are fabulous, incredile work.

Tammy said...

Wow! Gorgeous quilt: both the piecing, applique and the quilting. Oooo, Ahhhh.

Mary said...

WOW!! WOW!! WOW!!

Linda said...

Phenomenal, Judi!!! You are a quilting genius!!! You amaze me more with each quilt you do!!! I LOVE this quilt and all the designs. Ok, so you were like maybe one notch under your usual detailed quilting! LOL!!!

Dee said...

Another really beautiful quilt! I love the quilting you did in the center block. It really sets it off.

Larissa said...

Once again, absolutely GORGEOUS Judi!!! In fact, despite the fact that you reccon you could have done more quilting in this quilt, I definitely reccon you have done this quilt proud ... the perfect amount for this quilt!!! Your design decisions are fantastic!!

Susan said...

Your quilting is truly magical! Your fantastic work brings the quilt alive! Its sparkles! Thanks for sharing it!

Thearica said...

Gorgeous quilting!

karen said...

Outstanding!!!!

Average Quilter said...

Your work is just amazing. I'm relatively new at this and every time I look at one of yours I feel so awed

Rosa said...

Another awesome job!!

quilting/fitness said...

thanks for answering the longarm q: i hate to bug you about these things i just think you do beautiful quilting cant wait for your next one .how long did it take you to finish it and how about a video on how you do what i call a feather plume i would like to know where to stop and start without alot of thread builtthey are on the lower left block in the triangles they are beautiful

Joan said...

What a gorgeous quilt and the quilting is beautiful!

Petit Design Co. said...

haha! I can't believe this is "toned down" I love it. Beautiful job as always!

Tracey Holzer said...

Stunning!

Janine said...

I'm new to quilting Judi but I too hope to someday piece a quilt good enough to have you do the quilting. Your work is beautiful.

Dawn Hendrix said...

OO have mercy that is AMAZING...... WOW you so inspire me! Lovely Quilt and AMAZING quilting.. make for a WORK OF ART alllll around!

Melissa Corry said...

it looks stunning!!!

Melaniemmacdonald said...

WOW! Its beautiful!

Lynette said...

What an absolutely beautiful quilt! The design, the fabrics, and the quilting are all stunning.

Dollwood Farms said...

What an amazing quilt! I hope one day I can make one as beautiful and your quilting skills are over. the. top! Such talent!

Patty Benner Young said...

Another incredible quilt! You keep getting better and better. And you maintain your enthusiasm. Thanks for posting pictures...it is eye candy for me!

Auntie Pami said...

Judi, you continue to inspire me. Oh my goodness. I'll have to make a quilt for you. I'll get in line, no worries.

Deborah said...

I am always awestruck by your quilting, Judi. Fabulous job. What a beautiful quilt.
Hugs, Deborah

Alison said...

What amazing quilting. I hope I can send one of my quilts all the way from Australia one day for you to work your magic on. Absolutely brilliant, love it!

Linda (Petey) said...

How gorgeous! Your workload will never ease at this rate! I have a longarm, but may wait in line to have you do mine :). You are an inspiration. Thank you for sharing.

Litamora's Quilt & Design said...

Amazing! LOVE the quilting of yours! The background filler is just sooo cool!
Thanks for sharing, and thanks for the inspiration! Hope to be half as good as you with my longarm one day! I got my Innova just a couple of months ago, so I'll just keep on practising :o)
Hope the fabrics from your shop will arrive this week. Sooo excited to make a couple of beautiful quilts of them, and also excited to try the purple pen ;o)
Happy quilting!
Laila

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Gorgeous. So fun to see your posts Judi!

Maria Wallin said...

I just have to echo •stephanie•, one day I will do that too! You're nothing short of fantastic!

Used your ruler tip for my latest quilt, it worked like a charm! Thank you! =)

Beth said...

Wow your work is absolutely amazing. If only I could master one of your techniques! Love all the photos and how you do some of the steps as well. Thanks!!!

Unknown said...

Absolutely boggles my mind! Fabulous work!

Laurie said...

beautiful work :)

Donna S. said...

omigoodness!! That quilt is beautiful. The quilting is definitely amazing. I just had my first real pieced top quilted by a long arm quilter. Can't imagine ever doing anything like that!!!!!!!!

Monica said...

Looks great Judi! It may not have taken quite as long as others, but nothing is missing! You can't tell that it isn't as full of quilting as some. Your signature is still all over it! I think you're on to something!

www.piecefultimes.blogspot.com

Karen said...

Wow, another beauty!! I just love your quilting.

Sherri G said...

Wow Judi!!! Another stunner. Your quilting is so inspiring to me. Thanks for all the great pictures.

Mama Pea said...

such a beautiful quilt and really beautiful quilting!

Deb said...

Stunning!!! What a treasure!

Amy said...

Three simple words:
You amaze me!

Dawn said...

Goodness sakes! I can't think of enough words to describe what you do! You truly are a gifted quilter. If you enjoy what you do then you surely have found your place in life. It would be hard to believe that you are less than in love with your quilting because your talent shines and it can only do that when you are enamored of your work.
Keep up the wonderful job.

Happy New Year!