Monday, February 27, 2012

Lindsay's Art Quilt revealed....

1

Okay - there is a first time for everything when it comes to quilting. Lindsay contacted me and asked me to do this quilt for her, I was a little intimidated at first because I haven't quilted an art quilt before. We discussed and figured out what would work for this quilt. I really hope she is happy with what I came up with. I used two layers of Hobbs 80/20 batting, So Fine and Highlights by Superior Thread were my threads of choice.

Here is Lindsay's description of her quilt:

"As for a little background, this is the first art quilt I have done. I took a class at Asilomar last year at an Empty Spools retreat. My teacher was Ruth McDowell who has been creating quilts like this for 30+ years and is an institution in the quilting world. I grew up in Michigan and my Grandparents owned the cottage. We spent many summers there swimming, boating, fishing, playing in the sandbox, etc. Most of my favorite childhood memories were created there. My grandparents made it very special for the grandkids and in a way, I wanted to thank them and also honor the great memories we had by creating this quilt. The cottage was not fancy but we had a lot of fun laughing, eating yummy summer food and spending time with our cousins and grandpa and grandma.

It was quite a challenge for me to create this quilt because I am a traditional piecer. I needed to push myself to break out and try something new and this was the perfect inspiration. It was particularly challenging to make sure the scale and value were correct – more important than other characteristics of a traditional quilt."

I think that Lindsay did a beautiful job and it is so neat to have a quilt that represents a special memory for her.

2

This is my attempt at making the blue look like a stream of water. It was fun and whimsical quilting - all free motion and no marking.


3

4

I wanted the trees to be showcased - these little beauties took a long time. I did mark the branches in the quilt, but free motion quilted the rest.

5

I can't get enough of these trees!

6

The sky was fun - free motion quilting with some dragonflies every now and again. The big swirls are supposed to be clouds.

7

I wanted the cabin to look like it was 3D - so a lot of simple straight lines.

8

The grass areas were filled with a ton of small quilting that I hoped make it look like a field of grass.

9

Here's a closeup of the trees on the back.

10

I love how the back paints its own picture.

This quilt pushed me to try new things, sometimes it is easier just to stick with what I am comfortable with. I found that when you have an art quilt - simple yet detailed quilting will just add to it and hopefully make it just right!

Oh, and in case you are wondering - it took me 10 hours to quilt :)

Well, on to the next project!



58 comments:

Julie said...

That is simply amazing!

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Gorgeous work!

Shanna said...

oh my word, just gorgeous!! You have such an eye for detail!!

Maureen said...

Oh my word! What a stunning quilt! Both you & Lindsay have done beautiful work here. Judi, your imagination amazes me!
Maureen

Jenny said...

Judi...I just love to stare at your quilting! It's simply perfection!!

Kimberly said...

Just amazing.
There's nothing else to say!

Jessica said...

No words! Really. I can't think of anything to say. Just gorgeous.

Vickie said...

...oh my.... *jaw hanging open* You gave her work motion and dimension. Gonna leave this page open for awhile....You are both wonderful artists.

Danih03 said...

Your quilting is exquisite! I'm a little jealous! :D

Audrie said...

Wow. Just wow.

Maryanne said...

I am new to your blog and am completely blown away. The quilting on the art quilt is amazing! I have never seen anything quite like it!

Anonymous said...

You are simply amazing.....

Linda said...

Art quilt is right... Your quilting is truly art! I love all the texture and depth you created through your quilting!! It all just compliments the quilt so well. I LOVE the trees!!

Terry@ a quilting blog said...

Just beautiful...love everything about the quilt!!! TFS
~Terry~

Pat V. said...

Oh, this is fabulous!

Tammy said...

Wow, I can't even believe that is real. Looks like a photograph of the real thing. You are such a talented quilter. All that free motion; it's out of this world! Fantastic!

See Spot Shop said...

Gorgeous! I hope this is going to be entered in a show.

Leeanne said...

Two newbees thrown together! You both did a great job! I love the trees too.

laurastitch said...

wow!!!

Unknown said...

Just love it! So real.

Unknown said...

This is fantastic, simply fantastic - well done

tammy.woods1 said...

You have done an amazing job it looks fantastic

Desley said...

How you have quilting the trees is very effective.

Judy said...

Since I have a cottage and I'm from Michigan you and Lindsey have done a beautiful job of showcasing the beauty that many of us Michiganders have of our times up north. Beautiful!

Gramma Quilter said...

So amazing. The quilting is fabulous. Great picks for those areas. i love the quilt too. Have poured over Ruth McD's books and could never quiet get it. A class i am sure would be the best!
I cant help thinking now that you have been "stretched" both of you that is. Possibilities are endless. Keep up the good work and looking forward to watch how your horizons grow!

Dawn Hendrix said...

WOW.... this is so ... WOW... love the details.. you brought it to life .. the trees I can't stop looking at so amazing..... and the the house.. Seriously you have done an INCREDIBLE JOB... But I know you couldn't have done it with out an AWESOME piece to QUILT.. her quilt is just so perfect.. I can imagine the place she talked about!

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

Amazing work for both of you! Thanks for sharing it.

Jeanie said...

First time for both the quilter and the quiltee?!! Absolutely amazing! I can't imagine having the patience to quilt this.... and I was surprised that it was only 10hours. I think it would take me 10days and it wouldn't be as complex and amazing.
Wonderful job.....she'll be thrilled with your work!

Dorian said...

You did such a wonderful job!! I love those trees.

Sarah Craig said...

Once again, I want to be you when I grow up!!! Such beautiful quilting, Judi - quite an inspiration!!

Eliana Zerbinatti... said...

Maravilhoso!!! Ambas fizeram um trabalho digno de mestres e é incrível que seja só o primeiro.
Quanto aos redemoinhos, assim que os vi pensei nos vapores que sobem do chão, nos dias quentes de verão.
Judi, você é uma constante fonte de inspiração e eu sou uma admiradora do seu trabalho.

Eliana Zerbinatti... said...

In English by google (sorry)
Wonderful! Both did a job of master teachers, and is incredible it is only the first in this style.
As for the swirls, so I thought I saw in the vapors that rise from the ground, in hot summer days.
Judi, you are a constant source of inspiration and I am an admirer of your work.

Melinda said...

The trees are amazing! My absolute favorite part.

Jamie Fingal said...

Your house art quilt is stunning! Thanks so much for sharing! You GO Girl!

Michele said...

Wow! Just wow!

debbie m said...

Very Nicely done!

Laura T said...

Oh my gosh this is amazing! I' so glad I saw this post:) Your work is always incredible. I actually have an art quilt that I've been stuck on and now see some possibilities of how to accomplish some of the elements in it after seeing this post and it's so awesome as I went to bed thinking about that quilt and how I wanted to create the deck and then the tree. It was a photo of house with a deck taken on Kauai while on vacation and had this stunning tree by it. I've been processing for awhile and really think seeing some of the designs you came up with in the quilting will help to create some of the elements without being too literal.
Thanks always for sharing your work:)
LauraT

Needled Mom said...

It is really spectacular. The detail in the wuilting makes such a difference.

Second Hand Rose said...

Wow that looks amazing, I'd love to be able to do something like this. You're so talented and inspiring! XxxX http://thesecondhandrose.blogspot.com/

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Amazing and precise detail, what a glorious finish!

Melaniemmacdonald said...

My goodness! You've done a wonderful, wonderful job! The tree branches... Wow ~! What an inspiration!

Sallie said...

WOW! Another amazing job you've done!

marcella said...

You two made one gorgeous quilt! I hope she enters it in some shows because it would be wonderful to share with lots of quilters in person. Really lovely work.

Richard Healey said...

When I saw that house all I can say is WOW. Totally amazing hope to one day make something as cool.

http://richardquilts.blogspot.com
http://trackmyshows.com

sincerely yours said...

Breathtaking ... a beautiful job on both the piecing and free motion quilting! I'm getting a little taste of how hard it must be to part with each of these quilts that you've spent hours putting "heart and soul" into. Have a blessed day!

SewLindaAnn said...

Your quilting really added another dimension to her amazing art quilt. It really shows so much talent.

Karen said...

Your work is a perfect complement to a fabulous quilt.

Kayli Taylor said...

This is so amazing! The pictures are beautiful, did you get your camera back? and how big is this quilt, it looks pretty small from the picture on your machine from the other post. I love the back of it too, it is awesome with the thread changes too.

Pat said...

What a fantastic quilting job. It sure did finish the quilt in a beautiful way. I think that the quilting is a very big part of the whole quilt. I have a Halloween quilt that I made and the quilter I took it too was fantastic and the quilting is better than the quilt top.

Miss Jean said...

Two artists coming together to create perfection!!!

beecee said...

oh she is the luckiest lady. You are an amazing quilter. Thanks for sharing the detail. It was heaven to watch them unfold, each better than the last. The water, trees, grass and those dragonflies. OMG - I am stunned by how beautiful it is. You certainly did this lovely quilt right. She must be over the moon.

Karen said...

You have done a wonderful job and she must be absolutely thrilled.....I could spend hours looking at both the quilting and the quilt.

Joan said...

What an amazingly stunning quilt. You are so very tallented.

My Old Quilting Soul said...

I didn't know that you had a blog! I'm always guiltily looking at your shop, especially when your newsletter sends me tempting sales :) I saw your blog mentioned from Diary of a quilter!

Raylene Smith said...

only 10 hours..man that was fast... :) would take me weeks...well done, it looks great...

Teresa Marie said...

WOW is all I can say! Judi, you are an amazing quilter, & a true artist! You made the quilt come to life. Love the quilt too!

GerryART said...

Outstanding!!!
hugs
Gerry

leanne said...

wow - got goosebumps looking at this quilting !