Friday, June 1, 2012

Em's Tree of Life

1 

I have to say, I love Emily! She is one of my dearest friends and it is always a treat to quilt for her. She has her own style, and I love it! I never want to take away from the heart she puts into each quilt. So, hopefully the quilting just enhances her art. Here is what she said about her quilt:
"The story is simple...we were moving to Seattle and the animal fabric seemed like what I would see in the art up here when visiting San Juan Island 10 years ago. I love the Tree of Life and wanted to mimic the art of Klint and South American. The branches are fussy cut from fabric that was an oriental print of fans."
I love the way Emily puts her quilts together, everything has a meaning, it's more that just a quilt to her and I love it when I quilt for her. However, I do miss not being able to give the quilt to her personally since she moved to Seattle! Darn it!

2 

I used a gold metallic thread for the quilting, I really like the gold in the fabrics and this thread was perfect.
 3

My mom and I were talking on the phone and she told me she was going to quilt straight lines in blocks, but in different directions for each block. Funny where inspiration comes because this border was so fun and I got the idea from talking to my mom. There is no rhyme or reason to the border quilting, just ruler work with straight lines. I am definitely going to do this border again, it really worked for this quilt.

 4

The wavy lines are supposed to mimic the tree roots, I think it worked out pretty great.

 5

So, this border took most of my quilting time, since the rest of the quilting was fillers and outlining. I figure the border took about 5 of the 8 1/2 hours it took to quilt this quilt.

 6

Awesome shot of the back. I really loved working on this quilt and I already have the next quilt on the frames. It feels great getting some quilting done!

15 comments:

amy said...

gorgeous!!! i love the work you do with metallic threads - what brand/kind did you use?

Em said...

Oh girlfriend, rev that Green Fairy Hemi and zoom it up to my doorstep! Fabulous quilting and to know the quilter and her adorable family that created the artistry is my treat!!!!!! Thanks to your sis for being there!

mary mahoo said...

Once again, you've taken my breath away. Maybe someday, when I grow up (in my next life I guess), I'll make a quilt top worthy of your quilting. Absolutely phenomenal Judi!

Jenny said...

Oh my!! This turned out so amazing! Love all the different quilting designs and your border is fantastic...once again, you've inspired me and I'm keeping these quilting images tucked away in my brain...;o)

Larissa said...

This looks amazing Judi and Emily!! You two clearly work well together to produce gorgeous quilts!!! ... Loving that border Judi!!!

Jacqueline said...

your quilting makes the quilt. Just awesome work.

Vicki in MN said...

Love how you quilted this, especially liked the border. I have done some that look like baptist fan but I sectioned it off equally, yours would be quicker and more modern! I'll have to give it a whirl, thanks for the idea.

Kati from Kati's Quilting said...

Another beauty by you, it looks stunning! I love the shine of the metallic threads and the texture they create. Love this quilt!

Unknown said...

Agreed, Em does make some awesome quilts and your quilting is awesome too. :)

Mama Pea said...

Em is a friend of mine, too, and I agree....she puts her heart and soul into her quilts, as you so your quilting. Wow! You did great!

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

Absolutely beautiful...both her work and yours. Why am I not surprised that the two of you are friends? I adore her blog and her work too.

Smiles,
Kelly

Carrie P. said...

Goodness! You do amazing work.

SpartanBabe said...

W-O-W. Can't decide what I like the most, the quilt or the quilting.

Megan - spartanbabe.blogspot.com

Elisabetta said...

I am your new happy e-mail follower

Janet said...

You are so talented and your quilting sets the quilt off beautifully!! Love looking at your pictures :)