Monday, July 16, 2012

Saturday sewing

Good Morning Fat Eighth Bundle 

I was just itching to make something and usually my projects require the quilting machine to finish up, so I was racking my brain to figure out what to make. My daughter and I were talking about how she wants to make a dress and I pointed out the fact that I don't have any dress patterns so we couldn't make anything. We figured we would get some dress patterns from Grandma when we see her next and then the thought occurred to me that she had a skirt that we could mimic and make a scrappy skirt using some fabric we have in stock. Naturally we picked Good Morning by Me and My Sisters for Moda. She was so excited about the choice, and so was I!  Any excuse to cut up a cute bunch of fabric is always the best option!  

1 

So, Saturday afternoon quiet time was spent with my daughter sitting by my side and watching me sew this cute skirt together. I used 10 fat eights to complete this cutie, which means I can make two more skirts out of this particular fat eighth bundle. Yay for more options.  I forgot how much I like to just sew, it's been awhile.
 
2 

I had to use a zigzag stitch for the seams, realizing for the first time that I really want a serger.  I dropped that hint several times to Clint, so hopefully soon I can buy one.  The sewing possibilities will be endless.  Imagine that!  

3 

I love how it turned out and my daughter was so excited to wear this to church yesterday. I plan on making more skirts out of this bundle and now that I know what I did, the skirt will work up a little faster and I can do a tutorial on it. Now, that would be fun! So, get some bundles and make the little girls in your life a fun little peasant skirt! The bundles in the shop are 30% off now, so it's a great time to stock up!

22 comments:

meems said...

Super cute Judi!! Can I put my order in for Maggs? You know they would want to be twins right?? So fun!!!

Carrie P. said...

she look adorable!

Melinda said...

So cute! My mother-in-law is about to buy a serger and has promised to share. I drop the hint to my hubby all the time, but he thinks I would never use it because I don't make a ton of clothes. He just doesn't get it!

doodlebugmom said...

this is so darn cute!

Melissa Corry said...

That is such an adorable skirt!!! I think my daughter will be itching for one :) She just made her first skirt with her grandma and can't wait to crank out some more :)

Little Lady Patchwork said...

Such a cute skirt! Is it bad if I want one for myself? :0)

Linda said...

Judi, I would jighly recommend a Baby Lock serger because of its effortless threading and auto tension. I also have a Bernina and it has been grief. If you think your husbank can deal with it, you're welcome to have it. I coulduse the space. It was the top of the line when I got it.

audrey said...

Adorable! As for sergers, I loathe mine, it's become a $1k paperweight, I kid you not. I have a HuskyLock 910 that I'd love to trade in for a better sewing machine than what I have now. I'm seriously ready to pitch it out the window.

Plus, I don't make enough clothing to warrant having one, in the 2 years I've had it (which BTW was given to me by my mom who had it for 2 years and made 1 thing) I made ONE thing. It could be beneficial for bags and purses but again, don't make enough of those.

Kate C said...

Love this-I know my granddaughter would love one! So nice you could do it together:)

Jenny said...

Darling skirt for a darling girl!! How fun for you to take the time and do that with her, I'm sure she will never forget that!

Katie Fleming said...

Super cute! thanks for posting

- Katie Fleming
Kate Michelle Designs

Anonymous said...

My advice is don't get a serger...you are busy running your business and taking care of your family and you blog that you don't have time for a lot of other stuff. Sergers are hard to learn and the tension goes out a lot...my mom and mother in law both had servers and they tossed them. Seems to me that a nice, new sewing machine, with a bunch of stretch stitches and overlock seam settings would do the trick for what you want to do. Just my friendly 2 cents.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Cute!

Christine M said...

Such a lovely bright skirt.

Erin P. said...

That is such a cute skirt, I want one in my size:)

Linda said...

SOOooooo cute!!!! Just darling!!! :-)

CathyK said...

What a darling, fun skirt!!! Great job!

Unknown said...

Too cute...both the skirt and your daughter enjoying it!
Toni
www.lifeinapinkbunnysuit.com

Scottish Nanna said...

Very pretty skirt and Pretty girl wearing it .WE dont call them sergers we call them overlockers.and tell your hubby to buy you one Tell him I said they are A must have.I would be lost without Mine.
Hugs Mary.xx

Anonymous said...

Fantastic skirt. Looking forward to the tutorial. My advice on servers is to do your homework. I scored an unused one from my mum and it was a nightmare. A cheap modelwith some real issues. I happily now just use zig zag and find it way less stressful.

Sandra said...

The skirt is very cute. Any little girl would love it. And your quilting is fantastic. You are very talented. Enjoy looking at your blog.

Harmony Hopes Studio said...

Your machine quilting is "blow away awesome" I have enjoyed visiting your blog.