Monday, August 13, 2012

Storm at Sea

1 

This incredibly awesome quilt was made by Jen! I think the colors in this quilt are fabulous and she did a beautiful job piecing it. She used this pattern for the quilt and I had so much fun quilting this. 

Quilt stats - 3 different colors of So Fine thread, two layers batting, 26 hours labor with a ton of straight lines, squiggles and circles went into making this quilt. Fabric used for the quilt is Origins by Basic Grey for Moda Fabrics.

2 

I have to admit, I love the final reveal of the quilts I work on. It is always so fun for me to pull a quilt off the racks and realize that my aching back has all been worth it.

3 

I did have to mark guidelines in the solid green fabric. I used the disappearing purple marker for this quilt and I had to work fast because it disappeared nicely, maybe a little too nicely :-)  So, I marked the block then quilted it and moved onto the next block repeating the process.  

4 

I started out thinking I would quilt the blocks all the same....

5 

but, I really love how the texture of two different quilting designs in the blocks give the quilt an amazing look.

6 

I used three different threads in this quilt. I quilted all the brown, then went back with the cream and finished with the green. I just love how the quilting turned out on this!

7 

I always have a hard time choosing which pictures to post, so I end up just posting all of them.

8 


9 

As always, stitch in the ditch is a must for all my quilts.  It just looks better!
 
10 

I loved how the lighting on this picture is spot on! The quilting is really awesome in this picture - I didn't realize until after I decided to post this picture that there is lint in the brown fabric. Oh well, you can't always have it work out perfectly. Well, another finish and another one on the racks.  I am starting to get caught up and it feels great.  

Oh, and all you Instagram-ers out there, I decided to take the plunge. It won't affect my posting here, but it is a more relaxed fun way to show you what I am up to.  My user name is @ judiakagreenfairy - so come follow me!

You still have time to enter my giveaway, I will announce the winner in a couple days.  


35 comments:

Jen said...

LOVE IT! My parents are going to just love this quilt. Thank you Judi.

Quilting Babcia said...

Spectacular quilt from the fabric choices to your gorgeous quilting! Thanks for sharing so many photos, it's a great learning process for those of us just learning FMQ to see how you approach each project.

Peggyinno said...

This quilt started out a winner with great fabrics and pattern and you made it go OVER THE TOP with the quilting! I am truly amazed! Awesome work!

Melissa Corry said...

As always, absolutely stunning!!! You just give me so much inspiration in my quilting :) And I am going to be down in your neck of the woods next Friday the 24th to do some quilting of my own. I would love to meet you if you have time to pop in and say hello :)

Linda said...

LOVE. LOVE. That is all I have to say about that. :-)

AnnieK said...

Beautiful quilt! I love the fabric, the pattern, and the quilting. :-)

Abby said...

This quilt is beauitful! Question for you - you said 3 colors brown, green, and cream. Do you do the whole quilt in brown, then roll back and do green, and roll back and do cream? Or do you switch your colors for each row?

Julie said...

Wow, just wow!

Kate C said...

What a beautiful quilt- love everything about it! Your quilting keeps me inspired to try new things- thank you for sharing.

Kate C said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SpartanBabe said...

What about the back Judi? I love the front, but usually end up falling in love with the back of the quilt even more :o)

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I love that you post so many pictures - its just beautiful to see. Thanks for sharing!! Now go rest your back for a few!!

Barbie Mills said...

You are amazing. This is just perfect, I love all the detail you put into it. Positively gorgeous. The texture from the two different designs you chose is great.

Wendy said...

Just beautiful! Love the colors she chose for this quilt. And your quilting is so beautiful as usual!

The Vegetarian Hunter said...

Your quilting is just beautiful! I agree with the stitch in the ditch theory - it just makes all those lovely shapes pop.
Great job! Thanks for posting these inspiring pictures.
Cheers,
Carolyn

Unknown said...

The quilt itself is gorgeous, but the quilting is amazing... you are so very gifted. Gorgeous!

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

I visit but don't always leave a comment. I feel like a broken record...WOW...there I'll say it again...WOW. Your work is absolutely amazing.

Smiles,
Kelly

Suzy said...

OMGoodness! You surely know how to make quilt tops sing. I love the quilting and I love the maker's color choices also! Yummmm! :o)

Kati from Kati's Quilting said...

It's a beautiful quilt with stunning quilting! My jaw just dropped! I like the different designs in the blocks, it makes them interesting. Thanks for sharing all the pictures, we can never have enough!

Polly said...

amazing! Your work is amazing. Beautiful! Stunning! As always!!

corina said...

It must have been a pleasure to work on such a beautiful quilt. Such soothing colors! Of course, your quilting has elevated to another level. Stunning! I'm very happy you had a hard time deciding on which pictures to post. I love all the closeups of the quilting.

What Comes Next? said...

Storm at Sea is one of my all time fave patterns. This is a gorgeous version - (beautifully done Jen) and then there's your quilting! I just love it! You've once again provided so much inspiration, I'm anxious to make my own Storm at Sea to try out some of your ideas. Thank you!

Unknown said...

Супер прекрасное одеяло! Стежка профессиональная.

Shontelle said...

Your work is so beautiful. I'm glad you post so many photos - they are full of inspiration.

Sharon said...

I look forward to seeing your posts about your quilting work. I learn so much. Not only do you show pictures but you tell us about thread choices, batting, etc. thanks for your postings.

Sarah Craig said...

It's gorgeous, Judi, as always! Thanks for all the photos - I learn so much from them!!

Linda Dalton said...

This quilt is just spectacular and I LOVE it in so many ways, the colors are wonderful and soothing the quilting itself was worth every bit of effort that you put into it! Did I mention that I love it? Oh my...what a beauty you have here!

SewCalGal said...

Best free-motion quilting I've ever seen on a storm at sea quilt. Absolutely breathtaking.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Monica said...

I love it! Can you tell us more about the size of these quilts?
Thanks!

mary mahoo said...

Awesome once again Judi. Gorgeous quilt + incredible quilting = breathtaking! Thanks for sharing.

Jenny said...

Oh..Judi, you did it again! LOVE how you quilted this and glad to see you've got another one done. ;o)...I also think stitch in the ditch is a must!

Auntie Pami said...

Wow, perfect piecing, perfect colors, perfect quilting. Judi, you just blow me away. Enjoy the snuggles. They sure are wonderful. I'm just an auntie, but I think I understand.

Amira@littlemushroomcap said...

Judi, Your work is as always AMAZING!!! I am blown away with all your quilting. I just linked you up in my recent blogpost as I have to credit you for inspiring me to quilt. Take a visit if you have time!

Amira @ http://litlemushroomcap.blogspot.com

KeyQuilter said...

AWEsome! Thanks for sharing!

shortseam said...

Your quilt is great!! Your quilting is outstanding!! Keep up the good work. You give me inspiration to let go and get creative with my quilting. Thank you!!