Saturday, September 8, 2012

All Grown Up!! A new pattern....

1 

When my daughter was a baby I made a quilt that I dedicated to her and named it after her, called Liliana's Heart. It is amazing that my baby is 7 now and that quilt I made all those years ago is a reflection on my love for her and also proof that I got better at quilting as the years have passed by....

2 

She's so big now! Time flies too fast in my opinion!

3 

Can you believe I quilted this? Yeah, back in 2006!! Here's the proof that I started somewhere and all of you newbie quilters out there, don't be discouraged because you will get better! ;-)

4 

Isn't she beautiful? It's funny, the song Consider the Lilies is on right now and I am bawling my eyes out as I write this post. Funny how little moments like right now bless my life and help me remember the little stuff.  So, here's my big girl holding her new big blanket, which will fit on her new bed in her soon to be painted new room.  Yeah, she's spoiled, but when you are the only girl in your family it's bound to happen.

5 

So, I give you "All Grown Up." A quilt once again dedicated to my daughter made in fabrics (Bliss and Ruby) of her favorite colors - thanks to Bonnie and Camille for that!

6 

What I love about this quilt is that it is truly a scrappy quilt - I have to admit I have a hard time putting together a scrappy quilt because I am paranoid about putting similar fabrics and colors pieced next to each other, (it makes me crazy) so it took me some shuffling fabric around to get it the way I wanted. I used fat quarters for this pattern as well as a little yardage for the borders, sashing, and binding.

7 

I am so pleased with how this quilt came out. I was going to quilt this custom, but realized it's going on my daughters bed and I am going to have to let her use it. The free motion feather swirl worked out perfectly for this quilt.

8 

I have a hard time narrowing down the pictures to use for my post. Plus, I can't get enough of the quilting!

9
Love!

10 

A shot with the back.

11 

Since the quilt is all finished, I just have a few more pillows to make and a room to paint and Lili will have her big room all finished. It's been so fun to make such a treasure for my girl. I guess what I love most about quilting is the fact that my daughter does appreciate the quilts I make for her, she gets excited when I show her what I am working on and I can't wait until the day that she is making quilts for her children. Quilting and piecing is such a wonderful tradition to share and pass on and I am so glad I got hooked almost 8 years ago.

all grown up!! 

So, the pattern is available for pre-order now and will be shipping around the 19th of this month. I will also let you know when it is available for download. Thanks for letting me share my love of designing and quilting with you! Have a beautiful weekend!

38 comments:

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Beautiful little girl, beautiful quilt design and quilting Judi!

CathyK said...

Beautiful quilt! What a lucky girl!

Peter said...

A fabulous quilt, like the free motion feather swirl, it gives great foundation to the quilt. The colors are beautiful too, your daughter has great color tastes!

Leeanne said...

Lovely quilt! Happy birthday to your daughter!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful quilt! It's on my "list" to purchase. Just found your website and joined your facebook page as well. Getting ready to take the leap to a long arm....been a traditional hand piecer and quilter for 30 years...time to take the plunge! Any suggestions? Any place on the blog or fb page for details? Thanks! Look forward to spending some time here!

Teresa Silva said...

Your girl is just as gorgeous as this quilt! Love your free motion feather swirl....absolutely amazing! Thanks so much for sharing.

Melissa Corry said...

This is beautiful!!! I love the design, I love the colors, and I love the quilting!!! Your daughter is adorable :) What a treasure for her!

KaHolly said...

Just precious, and you are right, the quilting is exquisite!!

Tangos Treasures said...

Wow they are both beautiful!!!!

Karen said...

Your quilting looks 'alive'. I don't know how else to describe it. I really wish I had a quilt worthy of sending to you to quilt. It is beautiful.

Judy said...

Judi, I just love this quilt! I love the quilting pattern. Please do a tutorial so we can see how you make this beautiful design. I sign on to your blog every day and get so excited when I see a new post.

Judy

giddy99 said...

It's gorgeous! And as a newbie, thanks for the encouragement, because it is truly appreciated! :)

gpc said...

I just wish I could quilt as well as you did in 2006, lol! Both quilts are beautiful!

Sil said...

Beautiful both!!!

Needled Mom said...

It is as beautiful as she is!

Joan said...

Judi, both quilts are lovely! I can't believe you have only been quilting for 8 years. You are an amazing quilter!

BeachQuilter said...

I love both quilts! Your daughter is beautiful too. I too, have a tough time going scrappy, that and FMQ are my hurdles to get over! Love your blog and your shop :)

Jenny said...

its just perfect!

Sarah Craig said...

Such a gorgeous quilt, and the quilting gives it such wonderful texture! Your Liliana is beautiful, too - did you know my Lilli is also Lilliana (just spelled a little differently)?

Gigi's Thimble said...

It's beautiful! Great job on the piecing and quilting!!!

Amber

Rebecca Grace said...

I really can relate to this post! My first-ever quilt was a Roman Square with plain, straight(ish) walking foot quilting, and it was for my oldest son's "big boy room" when he was 1 1/2 years old. Well, I just finished up a Drunkard's Path quilt for him a few days ago, now that he's 11 1/2! Curved seams, free-motion quilting (not nearly as awesome as your quilting, but a long way from where I started). On the one hand, I look at that first quilt and I know the new one is much better, but it still seems like the time is going by way too fast. Just the other day we were playing "I Spy" and finding the schoolbus and the doggy in his old quilt, and now he's starting middle school.

By the way, this new quilt for your daughter is spectacular. I really love those free-form feathers against the geometric piecing lines.

Dora, the Quilter said...

It is a wonderful quilt--and the quilting makes it spectacular. And it's obvious how much she loves both quilts!

Dawn Hendrix said...

Thank YOU thank YOU thank YOU... for showing one of your beginning pieces..... There is HOPE FOR ME. You are so my inspiration.. Thanks for all you do and share!

onlymehere said...

I do hope that you share the whole room when it's done! Love the quilt. Your work is always fabulous and I love looking at it. Love the colors in Camille's line and need to get some to make a quilt I have in mind.

Tamie said...

What a beautiful quilt. I have some of Bonnie and Camille's fabrics stashed for a quilt of my own.

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

Ummmmm....what a treasure....the sentiment, the child, and the quilt. Who wouldn't love that quilt? I know I'll be buying your pattern....it is really great.

Recently I was able to give my daughter a quilt....and it warmed my heart to see how much she liked it...and it was not nearly as beautiful as the one you made.


I"m so grateful for creative women...and I'm grateful for you.

Hugs,
Kelly

Tiffany McPherson said...

I love your quilting. It is just divine! I also love to quilt for my kids...just finished quilts for 3 of my little boys and NOW I have to make one for my daughter! This quilt is so inspiring.....now if I can just master that swirly feather thing you do!!! :)

Tiffany McPherson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Девочка с одеялом - прекрасно! Одеяло нежное и стежка суперская.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous quilt!

quilting/fitness said...

both are just beautiful!!!

Sherri said...

Beautiful...and your daughter looks so very happy with her new quilt...that is probably the best part of all!

bluebellquilter said...

Do like the pattern. Have you thought about having Epatterns?
PFD files - saves us overseas readers on postage

Melia Mae Quilting said...

Your daughter's quilt turned out adorable. I just love it. Thank you for also posting a pic of a quilt you did 6 years ago. I just got my long arm in July and I have been following your blog as well as others and let's just say my "quilting" over the weekend wasn't that impressive. It was okay for my 3rd quilt, but it is so easy to get discouraged. I suppose being a perfectionist does not help either.

Anonymous said...

It is beautiful! Love the quilting.

Jenny said...

How sweet that quilt looks on your daughters bed! It's absolutely gorgeous and I can't stop starring at the quilting either. Love that design. Congrats on getting another pattern released! Miss you!

Tiffany McPherson said...

Judi - would you mind sharing what color of thread you used to quilt this? I'm assuming is So Fine? The color is awesome because it blends so well over the darker edges and piecing....WHAT COLOR DID YOU USE?? :) Thanks!

Always In Stitches said...

Judi, I had to chuckle looking at your first quilt you quilted..I have had the same experience looking back to when I started long arming to today as I have advanced considerably. Love the design. You have been my inspiration since I started 3 years ago. Thank you.